Friday, July 24, 2015

Staff Engagement

Since attending the DENSI Principal Summit earlier this month, I've been thinking a lot about how to ensure that professional development (PD) meets the needs of the learners.  I've long had a focus on differentiated PD within the schools I've led, but like just about anything in life, there's always room for improvement.  This post on Edutopia references students, but the principles apply adult learners as well. I want to keep these elements in mind as I plan for and support the learning process for our school staff.
I love that the last of the ten tips is to be human and remember to have fun.  When I consider how to create opportunities for fun while learning for staff, or even students, enjoying myself still takes a very low priority. While I take great pleasure in seeing others learn and grow, when I am functioning as the leader, I am often observing or managing the process(es) from the perimeter, rather than allowing myself to become fully immersed in the moment. I do think that incorporating more elements of an unconference format in our PD will actually provide me the opportunity be more in the moment and have fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment